Please see the spreadsheet below for information in regards to available equipment.
Design, Fabrication, Instrumentation Facilities
- Invention Studio – Student run makerspace which has Waterjet, 3D printers, laser cutters, wood working tools, etc.
- Machining Mall – Staff run Machine Shop which has lathes, mills, welding equipment, etc.
- MPRL Lab – Mechanical Properties Research Lab. Please request entry to the ‘Capstone Design Students’ Billing Group on SUMS prior to requesting access to this lab. You may request entry to the Billing Group using this link: https://sums.gatech.edu/ResearchGroup_View.aspx?ResearchGroupID=219213
- Electronics Lab – Staff run Electronics Lab which provides consulting services and can create two layer circuit boards. Technical Request Form
Helpful How-To's for the Design Process
Project Prototype Reimbursements
These are some general guidelines:
- You must turn in all receipts for reimbursement unless otherwise instructed by your department coordinator.
- Original receipts are required for reimbursement, and each receipt must have proof of payment on the receipt and/or invoice.
- Only one person from each team will be reimbursed. That person will then be responsible for disbursing funds to other team members, if necessary.
- Personal expenses of any kind cannot be reimbursed.
- After submitting your receipts and check request for reimbursement, it will take two weeks to process all requests. Once processed it can take up to a total of 30 business days before you will receive your reimbursement. This is also the same for any awards payments.
- If the student submitting for reimbursement graduating, then they should provide a non-Georgia Institute of Technology address as it will be at least two weeks to process the request, and this will be after the student’s graduation date.
- Reimbursements are handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Judges can be professors or people from industry from any discipline. Teams must be able to convey their projects to people outside of their major. Each team will be judged on a 1 to 5 scale, 5 being the best, in the following categories:
- Quality of analysis
- Proof of function
- Good communication
Online Resources & Websites for GT Capstone Design
Quick reference guide for students and faculty
This is the main capstone website for all capstone classes.
Purpose: This is the main online resource about the course for external sponsors, students and faculty.
- Syllabus, course schedule, deliverables, etc. : http://mecapstone.gatech.edu/students/
- Student FAQ on project reimbursement: pwp.gatech.edu/capstone/students/#FAQ
This website is only used the first 2 weeks of the semester
Purpose: Online project marketplace for projects ideas, bids, etc.
- Online project marketplace – post project ideas, review available projects and submit bids for projects
- Again, only used the first 2 weeks of the semester
Purpose: This is the Project Management Website for teams.
- Optional, but very helpful resource to keep the project on track and create Gantt charts
- Quick Start guide is located here
- Detailed guide is located here
Purpose: This is the main website for everything related to the Capstone Design Expo:
- Online catalog of projects showcased at the expo with maps and expo related information
- Students use this link to register for the expo: expo.gatech.edu/registration (registration opens a month after the start of the semester)
Looking for more opportunities to showcase your great ideas? Below are some opportunities for undergraduates and graduates to submit their ideas and projects to outside competitions.
(ACRP) University Design Competition for Addressing Airport Needs
Submision dates: August 2017 through April 27, 2018
Submision dates: April and August 2017
Solar Splash 2017
Planed dates: June 7-11, 2017 in Dayton, Ohio
The UAE Drones for the Good Award
Entry Deadline: October 31, 2016
Entry Deadline: April 29, 2016
Website (a great resource to find interesting real-world project ideas for the course)
2016 TechSAge Competition
Enter by: January 15, 2016
Excavator Design Competition
Register by: February 5, 2016
2015 James Dyson Award
Submission deadline: July 2, 2015
2015 Lemelson-MIT National Collegiate Student Prize Competition
Submission deadline: January 30, 2015
2014 GA/PDMA Student Paper Competition
Submission deadline: Fall 2013/Spring 2014 (Details to be announced)
2014 Student Manufacturing Design Competition
Submission deadline: March 21, 2014