After the end of the semester, one member from your team will be reimbursed for a portion of your project’s prototyping expenses.
Who is reimbursed?
- Current students enrolled in the ME Capstone Design Course
- Current students enrolled in the GT4823 course which has ME faculty as their team’s primary advisor
- NOT for student teams sponsored directly by faculty or entrepreneurs
Projects fall into 3 categories with different reimbursement amounts:
- Company-sponsored projects are eligible for reimbursement of 90% of each team’s expenses up to a maximum amount of $900. If your team spends $1,000 or more, you can receive $900 as a reimbursement. If your team spends less than $1,000 you will be reimbursed 90% of your expenses by the School.
- Non-sponsored (Student) projects are eligible for reimbursement of 80% of each team’s expenses up to a maximum amount of $800. If your team spends $1,000 or more, you can receive $800 as a reimbursement. If your team spends less than $1,000 you will be reimbursed 80% of your expenses by the School.
- Projects sponsored by Faculty and Entrepreneurs (projects titles have “F” or “E” as prefix on projects.gatech.edu) are eligible for reimbursement of 100% of each team’s expenses directly by the faculty/entrepreneur sponsor. Please confirm the expense with the sponsor prior to making the purchases. The following guidelines DO NOT apply! Contact your sponsor directly.
Please also refer the online project description (on projects.gatech.edu) for information on availability of additional funds/resources beyond what is presented above.
What is reimbursed?
- Items allowed for reimbursement:
- Supplies and materials used for prototype/model/mockups directly related to the project
- Consumable expenses for team branding at the expo (like posters, printing, etc.)
- Provisional Patent Filing Fees and t-shirts for non-industry sponsored teams may be reimbursed.
- For industry-sponsored teams, please check with your sponsor if they will provide company shirts to wear during the expo. Companies are NOT required to do so, but ask. (Remember we now have the embroidery machine in the Invention Studio if you want to monogram shirts for your team.)
- Items NOT allowed for reimbursement:
- Personal expenses of any kind cannot be reimbursed. Each individual charge will be reviewed. To prevent delays in reimbursement, please do not submit receipts that include personal items along with reimbursable items. (Ask for a separate receipt for that soda or chapstick!)
How to request reimbursement?
Select one person from your team to manage the reimbursement paperwork. This person (team contact) will receive the reimbursement payment and distribute to the rest of the team members. (Note: Even though one person will handle all the paperwork, please provide a roster of all team members with your reimbursement package.) Once your paperwork is completed, meet with Luci for final review and to turn in finalized reimbursement packet.
Steps for requesting reimbursement by Team Contact:
- Collect all receipts
- Cash register receipts must be taped flat to 8.5×11 paper
- Original receipts are required for reimbursement, and each receipt must have proof of payment on the receipt and/or invoice
- Please do not submit receipts that include personal items along with reimbursable items.
- Fill out Capstone Reimbursement Form: Download from here.
- Student name
- Address where the check will be mailed, including after graduation.
- Submit a list of all team member names and their email addresses
- Meet with Ms. Erisman (email@example.com) to review and hand in the above documents. Her desk is by the entrance to the Invention Studio.
If the team contact who is submitting for reimbursement is graduating, then they should provide a non-Georgia Institute of Technology address as it will take at least two weeks to process the request, and this will probably be after the student’s graduation date.
When to request reimbursement?
- Reimbursements are handled on a first-come, first served basis
- The entire reimbursement package is due in-person to Ms. Erisman (desk is right by the entrance of Flowers Invention Studio) by the Friday of the week of the Capstone Design Expo. Failure to submit the proper documents by the deadline will cause significant delays and the possibility of no reimbursement.
- After submitting your receipts and check request for reimbursement, it will take two weeks to process all requests. Once processed it can take up to a total of 30 business days before you will receive your reimbursement.