The following guidelines only apply to teams that have confirmed their prototyping needs with their respective faculty instructor. DO NOT ASSUME that reimbursement for your project prototyping needs is automatic. Please check with your faculty instructor prior to incurring any expenses.
Towards the end of the semester, one member of your team will be reimbursed for a portion of your project’s prototyping expenses, if your team’s prototyping activity was approved by your faculty instructor. Prototyping should be done for a specific purpose
Who is reimbursed?
- Current students enrolled in the ME Capstone Design Course
- Current students enrolled in the Interdisciplinary Capstone which has ME faculty as their team’s primary advisor
- NOT for student-teams sponsored directly by faculty or entrepreneurs
Projects fall into 3 categories with different reimbursement amounts:
- Company-sponsored projects are eligible for reimbursement of 90% of each team’s expenses up to a maximum amount of $900. If your team spends $1,000 or more, you can receive $900 as a reimbursement. If your team spends less than $1,000 you will be reimbursed 90% of your expenses by the School.
- Non-sponsored (Student) projects are eligible for reimbursement of 80% of each team’s expenses up to a maximum amount of $800. If your team spends $1,000 or more, you can receive $800 as a reimbursement. If your team spends less than $1,000 you will be reimbursed 80% of your expenses by the School.
- Projects sponsored by Faculty and Entrepreneurs are eligible for reimbursement of 100% of each team’s expenses directly by the faculty/entrepreneur sponsor. Please confirm the expense with the sponsor prior to making the purchases. The following guidelines DO NOT apply! Contact your sponsor directly.
Please click here to check your project reimbursement limits.
What is reimbursed?
- Items allowed for reimbursement:
- Supplies and materials used for prototype/model/mockups directly related to the project
- Consumable expenses for team branding at the expo (like posters, printing, etc.)
- Provisional Patent Filing Fees and t-shirts for non-industry sponsored teams may be reimbursed.
- For industry-sponsored teams, please check with your sponsor if they will provide company shirts to wear during the expo. Companies are NOT required to do so, but ask. (Remember we now have the embroidery machine in the Invention Studio if you want to monogram shirts for your team.)
- Items NOT allowed for reimbursement:
- Personal expenses of any kind cannot be reimbursed. Each individual charge will be reviewed. Please do not submit receipts that include ANY personal items as they will be rejected. (Ask for a separate receipt for that soda or chapstick!)
- For travel:
- Most sponsors will provide funding/support directly to the team for travel. Please check with your sponsor for funding before traveling to their site. If you have questions, please email Dr. Jariwala at amit.jariwala[at]gatech.edu
How to request reimbursement?
Select one person from your team to manage the reimbursement paperwork. This person (team contact) will receive the reimbursement payment and distribute it to the rest of the team members. (Note: Even though one person will handle all the paperwork, please provide a roster of all team members with your reimbursement package.) Once your paperwork is completed, email the course reimbursement support admin for the final review and to turn in the finalized reimbursement packet.
Steps for requesting reimbursement by Team Contact:
- CHECK your team’s maximum reimbursement limits here
- SUBMIT the Intent for Reimbursement Form here (before 7/30 for Summer 2021): https://forms.gle/DhYTsR21jYSgVXp88
- Fill out Capstone Reimbursement Receipt List Form: Download from here
- CREATE ONE .pdf file with all the receipts
- Each receipt must have proof of payment on the receipt and/or invoice
- Take a photo of all the receipts and combine all the files into one .pdf file. (See How to here)
- Please do not submit receipts that include personal items along with reimbursable items.
- SUBMIT the online Capstone Reimbursement Package here
If the team contact who is submitting for reimbursement is graduating, then they should provide a non-Georgia Institute of Technology address as it will take at least two weeks to process the request, and this will probably be after the student’s graduation date.
When to request reimbursement?
- Reimbursements are handled on a first-come, first-served basis
- The entire reimbursement package is due online by Friday, 30th July 2021 for the Summer 2021 semester. Failure to submit the proper documents by the deadline will cause significant delays and the possibility of no reimbursement.
- After submitting your receipts and check requests for reimbursement, it will take at least two weeks to process all requests. Once processed it can take up to a total of 30 business days before you will receive your reimbursement.
Course Reimbursement Support Admin:
Mr. Craig Burns: email@example.com; MRDC Front Desk, 3rd Floor; T: 404.385.5249